Alongside Pope John Paul II Beatification


Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams.Think not about your frustrations,but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in,but with what it is still possible for you to do”


- Pope John Paul II

This afternoon I watch the beatification of Pope John Paul on EWTN.  Listening to the inspiring recount of his life and the virtues he made manifest during his pontificate.  It's timely because today I search myself for those much needed virtues to continue remaining steadfast in youth ministry life.  Last night, an experience that shook me again as I witnessed emotional outbursts again from the siblings I look after, turned me into the shock absorber I've always found myself to be in.  

We were outside at the church of St. Jerome.  It was supposed to be simple issue and yet the woundedness of young hearts screamed for their voices to be hurt crying out "I'm in pain! Pay attention to me!"  

The screams were loud and it was everywhere.  I stood there trying to stay strong and keep grounded as their pain clashed against each other and against me.  Pain is terrible.  And it's terrible to witness pain that has long been unresolved.  

A few weeks ago, I read an article about Pope John Paul II and his commendable silence especially in moments of chaos.  Something inside me was struck by this lesson that needs to be learned.  

“This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.

- The Gospel of Luke Chapter 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art and Business

Lectio Divina | A Reflection on Yehuda Amichai's "The Amen Stone"

Anxious No More