Into the Stillness



This evening I find myself silently huddling close to the Word.  I'm stuffing myself with everything I could ever chew on that I feel would "protect" me from the "snares" that will attempt to steal my newfound peace as soon as I step back into the work-place tomorrow. 

I've been working on this page for the past  hours or so.  Thinking that I cannot get enough of this "creative breathing space" once I find myself locked within the demands of my job.  So I work on it and change the banners and the fonts like I'm changing living room furniture and upholstery.  Silently I think to myself, I might not be able to do this ever again.  So I binge.  

I'm trying not to be frantic but inside, I know I am.  

I take a deep sigh and let my anxiety exhale.  There is nothing much that I can do.  I'm going back to a place that I know I will never quite fit.  And while I know God's grace will sustain me, the fragile human responses react in automatically causing my palms to sweat and my chest to tighten at every thought. 

Breathe.  I tell myself.  I have found the truth again.  I have been illuminated.  Nothing can take away this peace.  I fall into that trap of thinking that it is by my effort that I can possess and keep this peace.  I fall into that trap where I think my faith is powered by a certain amount of will-power that should block the anxieties away.  

It's a trap.  I've recognized it.  And this very minute I stop.  Fall into the quiet and relinquish all the impulses that want to control the outcome of tomorrow.  

I remind myself to be grateful.  Most people do not know where they will be tomorrow.  I have already encountered "the way I should walk in".  I have been blessed with the certainty that I am looked after and all this.  This messy transitioning life is just passing through.  

I curl up into a small and silent ball.  Shadows are closing in to sleep.  And I place myself at the foot of the Saviour who walks with me in these valleys and leads me into the stillness of peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art and Business

Lectio Divina | A Reflection on Yehuda Amichai's "The Amen Stone"

Anxious No More