Remembering To Walk on Water



This banner hangs on the wall across my bed.  The tape almost peeling from the wall it has been attached to for the past 5 years or so.  It calls out to me when I wake up or before I sleep.  It wasn't until this morning that I've realized how little I've paid attention to its silent command.   

Remember!  To walk on water.

My friend Adi  hung this on the wall when I gave my room a make-over.  She decided to stencil this on a simple stretch of cartolina.  She said she wanted it to remind me of how to walk on water especially on days when I forget about it.  

Walking on water is a phrase I always tell myself when I'm experiencing almost impossible-to-deal-with circumstances.  It triggers my hope that when these circumstances come, I can arise above them for God calls me to "Come!" and walk over the impossible situations in my life.

One of the most impossible situations I've felt in my life was/is my job.  The environment I live in.  The culture that I walk through everyday.  

Tomorrow will be my first day back to work after almost a month long vacation.  While I have already made some decisions about how my life will be moving forward and have sorted a lot of my clutter out the past week, going back into an environment that has shaken me and robbed me off some peace for a long time seems to really be a cause of anxiety for me. 

This morning found me really worried.  I do not want to lose my peace and I do not want to be like the rest of the people who think they have no other choice except to "live life out" and simply wait to take care of their lives because work had to be taken cared of first.  

Quietly I allowed myself to feel the tension.  How real it has been devouring my joy.  How I just let it take away my peace.   Slowly, I loosened my grip and realized  I do not have to defend myself.  I do not have to prove myself.   I do not have to fear.  The victories I have won in secret, the Lord sees.  The people I have helped in passing, the Lord knows.  

Again I remember His words to me,

Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name, you are mine. Should you pass through the waters, I shall be with you; or through rivers, they will not swallow you up.  Should you walk through fire, you will not suffer, and the flame will not burn you, for I am Yahweh, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. - Isaiah 43:1-3

This Sabbath day, I rest in Him who is my tranquility and my strength.  His promises are true.  His faithfulness prevails.  And He says,

Your ears will hear these words, 'This is the way, walk in it.'




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art and Business

Lectio Divina | A Reflection on Yehuda Amichai's "The Amen Stone"

Anxious No More