The Merciful Gaze


This was what I was gazing at while I was at mass tonight.  The compassionate eyes.  The faint smile.  They felt real tonight.

I felt comforted as I pondered on the words below the painting saying, Jesus I Trust in You.  

Mom came home by lunch time today.  Her 6th and final chemotherapy session was over.  I wanted to exclaim a resounding "Yes!" but it seemed to me that she was somber and reflective about everything.  Almost wary that this last cycle was the actual end.  Almost resigned to the probability of not being healed.  I wonder what makes it difficult for some people to cling on to hope?  

Tonight, I trust in Him who knows the depth and breadth of every moment in my life.
You should not worry too much about adversities. The world is not as powerful as it seems to be; its strength is strictly limited. Know, My daughter, that if your soul is filled with the fire of My pure love, then all difficulties dissipate like fog before the sun's rays and dare not touch the soul. All adversaries are afraid to start a quarrel with such a soul, because they sense that it is stronger than the whole world. (Sister Faustina's Diary, Notebook 6, 1643)

Comments

  1. Absolutely beautiful. "Jesus, I trust in You." Such a simple cry of faith, and yet one that moves mountains.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Art and Business

Lectio Divina | A Reflection on Yehuda Amichai's "The Amen Stone"

Anxious No More